07 October 2008

Cycling Cape

cycling cape pattern Simplicity
I have long wanted a cycling cape, but at £400.00 ($699.91) that wasn't going to happen any time soon.

Instead I think I'll have a brand-new approximation for $4.00 plus labor.

I found a Simplicity pattern that is pretty close to the Dashing Tweeds cape, on clearance here for $1.00. I found some fabric on sale for $1.99/yard. The pattern calls for 1.5 yards. I think I might spring for some ribbon to bind the seams, at 10 cents a yard it might add up to another dollar to my total. Below you can see the fabric I chose. I may spring for different fabric if this one turns out well. I will say that the fabric is prettier in person than in a digital photograph.

No, it won't be the same as the luxury cape. I know that. I will certainly keep you posted on how it goes... and also how I'll spend the approximately $694 that I've saved!

sparkly tweed fabric cycling cape

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is too funny!!!
I'd been saving my own Rain Cape DIY post. When I saw this it was all too syncronistic!!!

Charlotte said...

That is too funny! Lots of preparation for DIY, that's for sure. Worth it in the end though.

Ridonkulus said...

not sure how advanced your sewing is, but bias tape is a lot easier to sew as trim and comes in many colors(ask the fabric salespeople). this is definitely cuter than a plastic poncho.

Christina said...

I've wanted a cycling cape for a while as well but I'm going to knit mine. Won't be completely waterproof but wool will repel a bit of the wet stuff.

MELI. said...

Nice!! so crafty ;)
-
My mom is a knitting champ, but has been procrastinating on a cape/shawl and a vest I requested centuries ago. I'm not good a knitting but I think I can sew ok...

Cant wait to see your results!!
xo/ meli

Charlotte said...

ridonkulus, you're right that bias tape would be easier to sew, and I suggest anyone who can use that (color-wise).

I have this sparkly fabric, with a very loose weave, so I'm going to use a very loosely woven sparkly gold ribbon. Perhaps masochistic, but it will look pretty when I'm done fighting with it, and that's what's important, right?

Charlotte said...

Meli, I can't knit to save my life, or rather I can knit but I can't purl, so I gave up with my 3rd grade scarf and stick to wovens now. I've seen some AMAZING knit capes recently on Etsy. Just gorgeous.

Lisa said...

I dream about that Dashing cape too - cute and reflective?!!

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of making this out of industrial blue tarps because they're totally waterproof and the industrial material might be kind of a nice twist on a feminine cape.