25 September 2009

Installing Chainguards and Chaincases

chainguard chain guard France
You know, those things on European bikes that make them easier to ride in your work clothes... I got the three pictured above on eBay France, and my friend held them until our visit (merci encore Julien!).

We don't have many chainguards here in the States, and getting them installed takes more than a little Yankee ingenuity.

If you're lucky your bike will have tabs for a chainguard and installation is easy.

Often they're attached with clamps (the Mistral clamps are particularly pretty) which seem the easiest approach, particularly if your bike had a clamp-on derailleur which left a ring of rust (like mine). A friend of mine has mounted the Velo Orange chaincase with clamps and blogged about the process. His required even more Yankee ingenuity because he rides a cargo bike.

I'm getting ready to work on mine this weekend. We'll see if my plan to cannibalize an old SKS chainguard for its guts, and attach it to the winged Simplex chainguard pictured above, will work... I hope to develop a protocol because "La Perle" will be going on Mom's bike (her name means "Pearl"), and the last one pictured will be on Dad's bike. By the time I'm done I'll be an expert at this! (Or I'll give up in frustration).

Additional suggestions gratefully welcomed!

8 comments:

Velouria said...

Oh wow. Please post photos once you get these attached. Are you putting one on your Dawes as well?

Charlotte said...

Yep, the first attempt, the Simplex chainguard, will be going on my Dawes.

SK said...

those are so pretty! thanks for the heads up on chainguard mounts. i just won a bike and i'm going to go see what they have at bikes not bombs!

I'd appreciate any tips from a veteran cyclist like you!! :)

PJDodge said...

Those are great! I really like the winged Simplex guard.

On a side note, have you seen the new Brooks rain cape? It attaches to your saddle much like the bags do. The first three photos on this page are the cape.
http://www.velonews.com/article/98394/interbike-2009-those-things-you-might-use-every-day

And @ SK - congrats on the bike. I tried to post on your blog about it, but there was an issue so I sent you an e-mail instead.

P-

Cris C. said...

so on the topic of riding a bike with regular clothing ... does anyone ride with water bottle cages on their downtube and find that their pant cuffs occasionally gets snagged if the bottle holder is empty?

if so, does anyone tips for addressing this besides ankle straps and or rolling up the cuff?

I'm thinking of replacing my cages with a less snag-prone design like the VO Retro but I keep thinking that there has to be a simpler solution.

Dottie said...

Lovely! I really need a chain guard for my Rivendell. I manage to get grease on my legs every time I ride her because I'm used to the full chain case of my Dutch bike. Unfortunately, I can't find any nice ones for a bike with a front derailleur.

Charlotte said...

Dottie, there are none, that's why I'm taking off my front derailleur. I can see why you wouldn't want to do that with the Betty Foy though.

dr2chase said...

@Cris -- another water bottle choice might be the V-O Moderniste

I'm the guy with the chaincase and the Big Dummy, if you click through you can see the bottle cage on the down tube, often without bottle.

Before I relocated the coffee holder (which does snag sometimes) it was on the seat tube.

And either way, my feet are pretty close together, because that is a track crank (an old Raleigh 3-speed is 10mm closer than that, however).