13 June 2008

Bicycles and gardens go well together

Community Farm Share pickup on a bicycle
Well, you can see I need my wine box pronto! Today was the first day of distribution for my organic farm share. It seems there is something about bicycles, public libraries, and community gardening that all go together. I'm not the only cyclist enjoying a share in an organic farm and I'm not alone in maintaining and enjoying a Community Garden plot. I wonder why these things just seem to fit together so nicely, like a contentment jigsaw puzzle?

It's going to all work even better when I put that produce in a wooden box and use a bungee cord net to keep it all safe. My filets/string bags did not work well as pictured. However I hope the veggies will be as good as pictured:

organic food share
Though it's clearly off-topic, I'm so excited about our local food I want to share what we got:
  • two heads of lettuce (chosen from many varieties)
  • .33 lb salad greens
  • .66 lb spinach
  • 1 bunch radishes
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 3 Hakurei turnips
  • 1 bunch chive flowers

We'll be eating well tonight!

My community garden plot isn't doing as well yet. It's off to a slow start but I'm starting to get some flowers and I think the dill and basil will be taking off soon. I'm hoping!

community gardens

4 comments:

2whls3spds said...

What's for dinner? LOL

We grow some of our own stuff, with more being added every year. No community gardens in the suburban hell around here...I envy you for that.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

So how'd the homegrown supper go?
alf

Stéphane Brault said...

21st century American way of life!
Another American example to follow!

Miss Sarah said...

Maybe you're right about this bikes/garden/public library thing. I've just renewed my library membership for this year (but I'm awful with the late fines) AND for the first year ever, I started a vegetable patch in the backyard! And I'm SO not good at growing things. Green beans, however, seem to be rising to the occasion despite my shortcomings.